Multimeters

and any other non-chem subjects.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Multimeters

Post by rae »

Do your classes use multimeters instead of amm/voltmeters? If so where did you get them? I have now got half of mine that the ammeter no longer works on. They are between 4 and 6 years old. So frustrating. Not sure if I should replace them or not?
phillip o

Re: Multimeters

Post by phillip o »

There are digital versions of ammeters and voltmeters. Only used the ammeters and they seem fine. Might need to buy up on batteries!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Most of the suppliers have multimeters for about $10 each. Much cheaper than individual meters and my old boss used to say they were more durable for the junior classes. The current mob I work with don't like them as they say they are too complicated. I just give them ammeters and voltmeters and replace them as they get broken.

What are the digital ones like? Are they tougher than the old style? Are they expensive?
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Interesting he says more durable?. I have the same amm/voltmeters for 10 years I've been here and haven't had may break at all but I have 6 cheap multimeters that have the ammeter broken. Maybe I should just get more of the old analogue ones.
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

We use digital multimeters all the time. When the ammeter is not working it's usually because the fuse inside has blown. Just replace the fuse and all is OK again. I get a lot of use out of the batteries - only had to change them once in 5 years.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I bought the class sets from Westlab - they have their own containers.. they work well and were a good buy