Unexpected results - gotta love Biology

and any other non-chem subjects.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Unexpected results - gotta love Biology

Post by smiley »

Our little tinies - aka Yr7's - did an experiment over the weekend. Pretty standard stuff: Elodia in flasks - one in the dark, one in the sun with no extra CO2, one in the sun with CO2 blown into the water, and test tubes to collect the (hopefully) O2 generated. All good so far.

Today a little cherub comes to me and asks me "What is this animal thingy?" and points to a creature on the inside of the test tube, and hands me a magnifying glass. So I am peering at a little brown creature, with two legs coming out of one side only of a soft-looking body, and possibly more legs curled up underneath. Well, I would have called slug at first, except for those damned legs.

We transferred the creature to a petrie dish full of water, and stuck it under a microscope, turned the lamp on, and suddenly there were lots of legs. Lots and LOTS.

Turns out its a leech, that lays "cocoons" (and I quote) onto the underside of its body, and then waits for those to hatch, and tiny fully formed baby leeches hatch out, and then attach to Mama. When they detect a mammal, by its body heat, they run away from Mama and attach for a feed. So all the little legs were baby leeches running for the microscope lamp.

Kids were fascinated, and fizzing with excitement BUT...now I have flasks filled with almost microscopic baby leeches! 8O :yuck: So it's gloves on and hot dishwasher time! Yay!
Cheers, K 8-)
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: Unexpected results - gotta love Biology

Post by sunray18 »

gotto love kids!
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I love playing science sometimes!!!

And the self directedness that come sometimes arise!!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Last year one of these amazing creatures arrived with the pond specimens our lads collected from one of our farm dams.

I've been trying to upload an mp4 file to show you - no luck yet, but I'll try to load a good still photo from home.

Research glossiphoniid leeches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!