dissection labels

and any other non-chem subjects.
malook
State/Location: NSW

dissection labels

Post by malook »

does anyone have any great but easy ideas for dissection labels. I provide tiny laminated names on a pin which either get thrown away or rust when I wash them giving rise to a tetanus risk . all suggestions welcome
sunray18

Re: dissection labels

Post by sunray18 »

I have used toothpicks and bamboo skewers cut down in length.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

I give the kids toothpicks & long sticky labels, & they make 'flags' by wrapping the label around the toothpick.
They just go in the sharps container at the end of lesson.
bindibadgi
malook

Post by malook »

do you print the labels for them? I'm just trying to save a bit of the time I spend making the fiddly little things.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

In 14 years I have never been asked to make labels for dissections
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

I give them sheets of regular wide address labels, so they can fold them in half around the toothpick & have enough space to write.
I also give them cheap pencils with dissections, so they don't use their own. The pencils go in the clean-up bucket with the dissecting gear, & get sterilized & dried in my glassware dryer.
The kids write structure names on the labels, stick them in the heart/fish head or whatever, & the teacher walks around & marks their accuracy.
I don't print the structure names on the labels, because they're supposed to figure out what's what for themselves. Plus it's a little more entertaining when you see a label with "Aorca" written on it! :cheesy: :crazy: I said "you're dissecting the heart from a sheep, not a killer whale" but he didn't get it. :giggle:
bindibadgi
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

fibreweb wrote:In 14 years I have never been asked to make labels for dissections
Me either not in 18 years I'd hate to see what some of our darlings would write.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

My kids just label a sheet of paper with a diagram on it. Maybe seniors label theirs sometimes though now I think of it.