human pathogens in agar plates

and any other non-chem subjects.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Re: human pathogens in agar plates

Post by macca »

Thanks Smiley I didn't think I was going nuts I'm so used to saying no no no.

The Title of the Prac., is "Where are those germs"
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

The Title of the Prac., is "Where are those germs"
And the answer is: Not in my lab! :cheesy:
Cheers, K 8-)
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

ha ha I wish; but with 800 snot juggling gremlins coming through each day I'd say heaps of germs. Darling cherubs :giggle:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Macca ,
I've just looked and this is the text book we use too. I don't understand how text book can be written that potentially encourage bad practice and potentially put us and the students and teachers at risk. Where is there risk assessment?
There are other pracs in these books that I look at and just think where the hell do they get them from and have the authors ever actually performed these pracs because they are crap!!
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

I agree Macca, there's one that gets the students to light a bunsen burner and then tilt it to burn a substance (flame test from memory)! I instantly banned it, who gets students to handle a lit bunsen burner???? when much safer and proven methods are available.
MariaC
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

We just had a current micro biologist come in to supervise year 9 microbes. She said we wouldn't be able to grow disease without blood agar. We still taped all the petri dishes around the edge and used gloves to handle them and bleached all the benches after looking at the growths and then I autoclaved everything including gloves.
But for a Biol demo I put my bare toe on the nutrient agar plate, and then on another 2 with a drop of bleach on one and disinfectant on another. Worked a treat. But now I have a bit of a phobia regarding my toe.