NEW GHS

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

NEW GHS

Post by Labbie »

The Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) is a global method of classifying chemicals and preparing labels and safety data sheets (SDS). It gives users practical, consistent and easy to understand information about chemical hazards and helps them take steps to protect their health and safety.

The 3rd revised edition of the GHS (GHS 3) was implemented in Australia on 1 January 2012 and is currently the only system that can be used for developing labels and SDS for workplace hazardous chemicals in all Australian states and territories.

On 1 January 2021, Australia will begin a two-year transition to the 7th revised edition of the GHS (GHS 7). During the transition, manufacturers and importers may use either GHS 3 or GHS 7 to prepare classifications, labels and SDS for hazardous chemicals. From 1 January 2023, only GHS 7 may be used.

During the transition, suppliers and users of hazardous chemicals may continue to supply and use chemicals classified and labelled under GHS 3. However, suppliers and users of hazardous chemicals should not supply or receive stock manufactured or imported after 31 December 2022 if it does not have up-to-date labels or SDS under GHS 7.

The two-year transition period will:

allow time for manufacturers and importers to prepare new classifications, labels and SDS for their hazardous chemicals,
keep Australia in line with our key chemical trading partners, who are also adopting GHS 7, and
ensure classifications, labels and SDS are based on the most up-to-date system of classification and hazard communication
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: NEW GHS

Post by macca »

Am I allowed to swear on this site. It might be time to retire how manytimes????
lol
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes I know how you feel Macca, I'm very glad I am retired. When the CSIS first came in, it took 4 years to do our school. Then we had GHS labels etc, that took 2 years with a lady coming into relabel each friday. Its a game, if you ask me.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Doesn't seem to be that much that will impact us that I can see.
Adoption of GHS 7
From 1 January 2021, Australia will begin a two-year transition from GHS 3 to GHS 7. The transition period will finish on 30 December 2022.

During the transition, manufacturers and importers may use either GHS 3 or GHS 7 for classifications, labels and safety data sheets of hazardous chemicals. From 1 January 2023 only GHS 7 may be used.

Suppliers and users of hazardous chemicals may continue to supply and use chemicals manufactured or imported before 1 January 2023 that are classified and labelled under GHS 3, until their stocks run out. However, suppliers and users of hazardous chemicals should not supply or receive stock manufactured or imported after 31 December 2022 if they have labels or SDS prepared under GHS 3.

Key changes under GHS 7 are:

the ‘Flammable Aerosols’ hazard class will be renamed to ‘Aerosols’ and will incorporate non-flammable aerosols in a new category ‘Aerosols Category 3’
the existing flammable gas category (Category 1) will be split into two new categories (Flammable gas Category 1A and Category 1B)
the introduction of 3 new flammable gas categories:
Pyrophoric gas
Chemically unstable gas A
Chemically unstable gas B
the introduction of a new hazard class for desensitised explosives
updated precautionary statements.
Alongside the transition to GHS 7, the definition of ‘hazardous chemical’ under the model WHS laws is being clarified ensure it captures all Category 2 eye irritants including those that fall under Category 2B. This will be done by removing Category 2B eye irritants from the list of exempt hazard classes and categories.

More information about the changes under GHS 7 can be found on the GHS 7 - transition page.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Thanks for the information Labbie and bigmack. I like to stay at least one step ahead of the WHS person here. :thumbup: Then again retirement is always an option.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Agree Bigmack. I was trying to post a reply earlier but it just wasn't happening.
The info from Bigmack is from Safework Australia and no, not a big impact. It will certainly not require the mass re-labelling we did with the GHS introduction. The only thing that, I think, will impact on us is the eye irritants.
Each time I make up a solution, I check the label is correct. As the classification of chemicals can change regardless of the law, we are obliged to ensure chemicals are labelled correctly. This should pick up any changes to labelling requirements.
And remember, this only relates to hazardous chemicals. If you have a good look in your chem stores, most of what goes out to students is non-hazardous and does not fall under GHS labelling requirements.