How are you purchasing chemicals & Groceries

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

How are you purchasing chemicals & Groceries

Post by Labbie »

How are people purchasing chemicals as their are NO chemicals on the Procurement. And what about your Groceries, salt sugar etc?? Last year we had a woollies gift card, which we could use, but this year we are not allowed that gift card. So the teachers are shopping. a claiming it on their Tax or via the Dept of Edu .
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Re: How are you purchasing chemicals & Groceries

Post by J »

We shop at the local IGA and SPAR, butcher, bakery etc. They send us a monthly account.
Chemicals etc I shop around and print off the online order list without actually submitting the order. I give my SAM a copy of this list and she places the order.
vickir

Post by vickir »

NSW DET school - I order my chemicals with a Science Supply company i.e. Science Supply, Haines, Westlab etc along with any equipment that is needed (via the office, I complete an internal order form). Grocery items, I did a big shop at the beginning of this term as we have a Woolworths account, but must purchase $20 or more at the one time.

However, those one off items celery, brains, etc that teachers require for pracs, I have asked the teachers to purchase, and then they can claim it back either through the school or their tax. We had petty cash up until the end of last year and I was always buying items for pracs. But it's a different story now that the teachers have to do it (it's a little inconvenient for them, plus they forget to purchase what they need). BUT I refuse to purchase items out of my own pocket, even though I could get reimbursed.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

I purchase most of the groceries and abattoir items, scan receipts and lodge requisition form online - reimbursed into my bank account. Record all trips and claim on tax. Most chemicals from the usual SSA, Westlab etc.
Xe, SD, KOPR
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

I think Procurement has become pretty annoying! As you said Labbie, no chemicals and many other things too....I will search for a particular item and the most bizarre things come up in the search!!
So for chemicals and equipment I just look to Westlab, Scientrific, Serrata etc....as for grocery lines, I did a fair shop a week or two ago and put it on the school's account. My SAM has told me we will still have petty cash, but I'm yet to see it.....I bought some stuff from the butcher last week, I put my claim in yesterday and will be reimbursed by cheque.......but this practice is supposed to change next term.
It is crazy not allowing us to have petty cash, with all the petty things we have to buy!
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

I order chemicals through a science supplier (whoever has the cheapest including freight) and groceries are purchased at our local IGA (the only supermarket in the town) where the school has an account. Stationery supplies are through procurement.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I agree Remlap12, the search engine needs LOOKING at, for sure.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Vickir
We have the same problem here with grocery items.
I told my teachers to give me there list of items on the Friday prior to prac and then I give that list to home ec.
They get my stuff and we sort out the paperwork so that science stuff comes of their budget.
Sounds complicated but works really well
AmandaDLG
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Merrylands High School
Suburb: Merrylands

Post by AmandaDLG »

I was a little surprised when I got an email in August 2016 saying the Contract for supply of Scientific products expiried 31/7/16. I still order Science equipment/chemicals from Serratta as they seem the cheapest and we have a petty cash tin for other things like sugar, brains etc.
Amanda :coffee:
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

:mad: DET school: I place an order with the accounts office but I generate the order for all chemicals and equipment and stationery through a supplier. As for any food items I place an order with home ec as I am told that there is no such thing as petty cash or the reimbursement for the school takes forever. The teachers have to organise any bio pracs (brains etc) through the office manager before they can order....ask the right questions about whether the company will take a school cheque or will they invoice us.BLAH BLAH BLAH.
You would think that we were buying goods for our own personal use :mad: #-o