Old Molecular Model Kits

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie
State/Location: NSW

Old Molecular Model Kits

Post by lizzieb »

Has anyone got any ideas on how to replace parts (wooden balls, springs) from the old school molecular model kits?

We have been using Molymods and the HT was amazed when I brought 8 old sets out of a storeroom today.
At my last school we used these for the juniors and kept the molymods for the senior classes.
I sorted out 5 complete sets, but it'd be great if I could find enough spares to make up the full 8.

Thanks,
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
kase
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Berri Regional Secondary College
Suburb: Berri
State/Location: SA

Re: Old Molecular Model Kits

Post by kase »

Hi Lizzieb,

We have quite a few of those old sets here that we don't use. If you wanted to pay for postage we could send them to you.

Cheers
Kase
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I have 10 sets which are complete enough to use for the junior classes. I would like to buy spares but I don't think they're available, so in a couple of cases I've had to paint styrofoam balls of about the same size in the appropriate colour. They do the job well enough.

Carol
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

As far as the springs go, you can buy that plastic coated spring wire that is used to hang curtains bought ours at Spotlight ages ago, maybe Bunnings have it too??. We cut the plastic coating off, cut the wire into short lengths and used it quite successfully with our old kits!
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

This contact came up on our local labbies association forum. I have never used them, but I believe they supply complete kits and spare parts for those older kits.
They are
Ashbee Kits and Products
Ph:(08)87231749
Kathryn

They are in Mt Gambier, South Aust.
Cheers,
Lisa
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I've pm'd Kase, and called the company labman mentioned.

I'll let you know the results.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!