Update from Slarti McBartfast

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Update from Slarti McBartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

As Robb would say G'day all!
Just logged on to find I've been made an honorary member - in green too! I'm glad to find a few have left me well behind in the posting stakes also, blimey I must have ranted on a bit to log that many!

Over the school holidays I stayed with family in Ipswich Qld. and busied myself there sounding out possible career changes - mainly hopeing for a civillian position with the RAAF amongst others.

Well, I received news from the Dept. of Primary Industries last Friday that I my application and interview was successful and that I start with them (In Queensland) on the 25th of May - 3 weeks time!!! :w00t:

I was made an office chick here at Henry Kendall because of my 'puter skills and never made it into the printroom and I had to get out before they certified my mental condition.

The best bit about the new position...... I get to muck around in laboratories again!!!! :wink2:
Last edited by Slartibartfast on 04 May 2009, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: Update from Slarti McBartfast

Post by Lis »

Hi Richard,

Congrats sounds like a great change, make sure you keep in touch with us at Chemtalk.

Well done and I hope it all goes really well for you

Cheers
Lisa :clap3: :clap3:
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:clap3: :clap3: Congrats, even though I dont know you I could never see you in the print room, and office chick!!I was told it was good politics to have lunch with them every day but have settled on once a week!!! So what exactly will you be doing, or is that a state secret. Hope the move makes you happy :thumbup:

Cheers Maria
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Good for you 42!
Hope you stay in touch with Chemtalk as we all miss your input, insight and great humour.
(oh! and pictures!... you may not have seen Sassi's mention of you in a posting of missing you and how she, and many of us, will definitely do the "slarti lab coat trick!)
All the best to you,
Lou P.
PS Don't envy your moving, especially all those bikes! :giggle:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Well done Richard, I really do hope it works out just fine for you. What part of QLD are you moving too. Thats a really big change. You will be kept so busy with a long large move like that. Do please drop in and speak to us. :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
smiley

Post by smiley »

Onya Slarti! Isn't there a song about "moving a little further north each year"? If I wait long enough you'll make it to Cairns, which is close enough to heaven for you to just stop. Just remember, any sentence that starts with "Down South we used to...." is social death, even if what you were about to say was right!
Cheers, K 8-)
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Richard, that's great news, mate! :clap3:

I imagine you'll need a semi or two, just for the bikes! (Watch out, all you Qeenslanders!)

Best of luck - glad to hear you're over the 'office chick' phase.... :giggle:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Adam,

Love the 'honorary' title - that's a brilliant idea, and well deserved. \:D/

Thank you :clap3: =D>
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hey!
Slart our old matey! :crazy:
great to hear from you!
and well done in your new adventures, and even managed to dodge the
'fate of the printroom"!! \:D/ :clap3:
:crazy:
Fab that you are now honorary... :D
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Hey Richard,
Terrific news, congratulations!!! You picked a great time of the year to move to Queensland as well. I hope all goes well with the move. It would be a huge job, moving interstate, and starting a new job in the space of a few weeks, though it sounds like you have a few rellies to help you out!! What part of Queensland will you be calling home? And in what capacity are you going to be let loose in labs again? Please let us all know how everything goes when you have time. Now you're an Honourary Member, do we have to call you "Sir Richard"???
Cheers,
Lisa
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Hey Slarti

Congratulations on your new position and welcome to the sunny state, winter in QLD is just beautiful especially in FNQ. When I found out we had to move to qld from NSW we had less then 2 weeks to pack up and move 2000km over christmas. Do you know how hard it is to organise removalists etc at xmas??? My advice is to get as many quotes from removalists as possible and try and get a back load. Huge differences in quotes we saved heaps.

Good luck and keep in touch.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Sir Slarti!

Good to hear from you and congratulations on your DPI position :clap3: I am soooo NOT jealous, no no no, not the slightest bit :crazy: Where are you headed to? I have a good friend up at the DPI in Cairns, if that's where you are headed, you too will hit it off big time, you seem just as mad (in a good way off course) as him :cheesy: Now that you have got an honorary membership, you do know that you have to check in on us every now and then don't you [-o< Life in NQ is fantastic, I do miss it sometimes, especially in the winter, I hate the cold, yeah I know I am Swedish and should be used to it, but i still hate it :yuck: No need to tell you about all the nasites you will come across up there, box jelly, irukandji and crocs just to mention a few, and those birds that attack you and steal your food, what are they called again??? Oh yeah.., Kookaburras! Watch out they are much sneekier up in NQ than down here in NSW 8-[ But then again, you are probably used to cheaky animals, having lived with Brian :cheesy: Now tell us, HOW are you going to transport all those beauties (bikes)???

Ta for now, keep in touch!

Sassi :giggle: (PS. i am blowing you kisses)
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I'm moving to Yamanto on the 1/6/09 - will be centrally based in Ipswich but in an area that covers Gatton, Toowoomba, Esk, Warwick etc! I can't wait. The roads up there are a major reason for picking to move there - Top bike country (and I'm seeing a blonde bombshell that's in the RAAF :wub: That always helps!!!!!)

Keep you posted!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
smiley

Post by smiley »

Well then RIchard, guess you won't be struggling with the heat then! And face it, there's not too many nasties out that way either. Except maybe the ones sitting one rocking chairs on the porch with a shotgun across their knees.....

Best of luck with your move.
Cheers, K 8-)
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hi Richard,
I've noticed you're still posting from Henry Kendall. I thought you would be up North by now.
Are you still moving, or have your plans changed? Maybe the floods put everything on hold.
I think I asked in a forum somewhere, if you are going to be a labbie again, or are you trying something different?
Whatever you're up to, I hope it's all going well for you.
Cheers,
Lisa

G'day All!!
1st time literally I've had to drop by my favorite website in the world since starting with the DPI in Ipswich! Working some 10 -12 hour days mainly on farms taking cattle bacterial level samples (in milk) and 2 days a week in our labs. I'm well busy.

I'll keep you updated if you like but for now I've got to get back to it but I promise to drop in every week from now on now I've settled in and I may even have some very poor jokes and funny stories from this side of the border!
See you - miss you all (and my family) heaps!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Hey Richard,
So, you made it then!! Even though you're busy, it sounds great. A change is as good as a holiday they say.
Can't wait for those jokes and stories. I can imagine what they're like in that part of the country!!! I look forward to hearing more about what you do as well. You might inspire some of us to broaden our horizons.
It will be good to have you back on this site on a regular basis to keep us all amused. Do you have any new strange animals up there..... we need a new mascot!!!
Cheers,
Lisa
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We are all eager to hear all about the move, those bikes, etc etc. Welcome back stay warm??????????
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
smiley

Post by smiley »

I may even have some very poor jokes and funny stories from this side of the border!
You mean the RIGHT side of the border...
Cheers, K 8-)
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Richard
Good luck with the job hope all goes well keep us posted \:D/ \:D/

Noona
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hi Richard,
Enjoy your new adventure.
Just wondering... do all the Ducatis fit in the shed now or are they still in the lounge and kitchen?
Our motorcycle collection has increased to four this last month but thankfully all fit neatly in the shed, alongside the Torana! :D

Cheers,
Patti
The Search Engine