PLNTS Introduction to Science

for anything else that doesn't fit.
remlap12
State/Location: NSW

PLNTS Introduction to Science

Post by remlap12 »

Hi all,
A question for DET LABBIES.
Have any of you done the PLNTS (Professional Learning Non Teaching Staff ) Introduction to Science PL?

There is a section on the periodic table, the question I am stumped on is " what is the origin of the word Kalium (Potassium)"
Everything I google tells me it's origin is Latin or possibly Arabic....BUT according to this course that is wrong!!
The answer has 8 letters. I ONLY HAVE ONE ATTEMPT LEFT! :redcard:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helen
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Anastasia

Re: PLNTS Introduction to Science

Post by Anastasia »

Germanic ??
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

everything I google says Latin, Neo-Latin or Arabic
I'll just have to see what happens when I use my final attempt!!
Regards
remlap12
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

So it's Neo Latin.....without the dash between Neo and Latin!! Good Grief!!!!!!!!!
Regards
remlap12
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

LOL , our Home science Assistant did that course a week or so ago . She had me on "phone a friend" . She got stumped on the same question . I was no help .
She , just like you worked it out and lamented in a similar fashion as you :console: ...stupid ,stupid stupid .

The other question that got her stumped was which chemicals do you need special training in to make up . Turns out you had to look up CSIS on line ( the link they gave didn't work for her so I had to lug over my old Hard copies ) and if it was K-12 , you didn't . I didn't know that one either . :-(
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Oh my goodness!! What ridiculous questions! Who writes these courses?!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

That is ridiculous. How on earth does that help you do your job or show that you know how to do your job safely? The training levels is a good question. The question of why a chemical has a particular name is just pure trivia.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

There were a few oddities in this course!
In one part you have to calculate molarities using the molecular weights, densities etc. It's set up as multiple choice and I was stuck on one particular calculation, it said I was wrong so I googled the answer ( you only get three attempts ) the google answer was the same as mine. So I went through their calculations and there was an addition error! It certainly makes you wonder who writes these courses and who, if anyone, checks them!!
Regards
remlap12
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

bigmack wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 13:39 LOL , our Home science Assistant did that course a week or so ago . She had me on "phone a friend" . She got stumped on the same question . I was no help .
She , just like you worked it out and lamented in a similar fashion as you :console: ...stupid ,stupid stupid .

The other question that got her stumped was which chemicals do you need special training in to make up . Turns out you had to look up CSIS on line ( the link they gave didn't work for her so I had to lug over my old Hard copies ) and if it was K-12 , you didn't . I didn't know that one either . :-(
bigmack,

yes I think I stumbled on the special training one too!
Regards
remlap12
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

remlap12 wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 12:10 Hi all,
A question for DET LABBIES.
Have any of you done the PLNTS (Professional Learning Non Teaching Staff ) Introduction to Science PL?

There is a section on the periodic table, the question I am stumped on is " what is the origin of the word Kalium (Potassium)"
Everything I google tells me it's origin is Latin or possibly Arabic....BUT according to this course that is wrong!!
The answer has 8 letters. I ONLY HAVE ONE ATTEMPT LEFT! :redcard:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helen
Neo-Latin
i did the course the other day and yes i did get this wrong but did not fail so dont panic