Hazardous Chemical register - chemwatch

for anything else that doesn't fit.
gotolady
State/Location: NSW

Hazardous Chemical register - chemwatch

Post by gotolady »

Hi all you wonderful labbies. I am searching for the new chemical register forms that I have been told I have to use. It was given to me by my SAM but she can't remember where she found it and I am totally po'd trying to find it. It is supposed to be in the format for LMBR and mentions chemwatch website but I can't find it.
I am hoping that someone out in labbie land will be able to help me.
Thanks in advance :clap3: :clap3:
Louise

Re: Hazardous Chemical register - chemwatch

Post by Louise »

As far as I'm aware of we still use C1/C2 files for High Schools or a basic excel sheet for Primary schools, until further notice by Asset Management.
If you don't have an original file I could email you one and you can copy it (But a copy like this will always ask do you want to update linked files. you just say no.)
Also The webinar on Asset Management suggests not to use a Third Party software (Chemwatch, etc.. )in case the department decides to go with another provider and you may lose all of you manifests/inventorys.
Or do your own on excel as this is the preferred program and compatible to most anything and easy to import and export information.
LMBR does NOT have any impact or requirements for a Chemical Stocktake but of course you must have one for Audit and WHS.
Hope this helps
Louise

Post by Louise »

Oh ....I have phoned the Departments WHS consultant, he will get back to me and I will post more info tomorrow :)
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Also The webinar on Asset Management suggests not to use a Third Party software (Chemwatch, etc.. )in case the department decides to go with another provider and you may lose all of you manifests/inventorys.
You can always export (chemwatch manifest) to excel every time you update. That way you have an independent copy. That is what I do.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Our Dept WHS regional Consultant is on to it, he is busy tomorrow but should have an official reply Monday.
vickir

Post by vickir »

I work in a NSW DET high school, I haven't heard anything about this. Funny that! I'm sure that my SAM won't even pass it on.
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

Thanks for all the replies. I have been told that the chem register should show storage location, product name,hazardous chemical, dangerous good, Dangerous good class and packaging group, quantity held, date of SDS and risk controls implemented as per CSIS notes (Y/N).
Also I didn't know that we were to include all dropper bottles and stockbottles. That may shock you experienced labbies but as someone who follows what was done here for years because that was what I was told to do. There is no communication from higher ups and with out this forum, I would be lost.
What sort of guidelines are there or are the powers that be, just changing things to tick us off.
Enough of my ranting as now I have to really get my act together and spend some quality time with my chemicals. :redcard: :mad:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

The CSIS tells us that we only need to do our stock, Dropper bottles are used all the time, 2ml out of a dropper bottle can you image the work???????????? So if you have a chem store, you only need to do that. NOT your prep rooms, the chemicals in your prep room are being used every day so to speak. And you would be changing your register every five minutes. So you only need to do your stock. Not your duilted chemicals Gosh I do hope this all makes sense to you all.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Just be aware that if you are in a non-DET school you may have different directions.
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

I agree Labbie. I follow CSIS and do stock items that I purchase in. If I buy bromine water then I stocktake this. If I make it up from ampoules then only the ampoules are done.
Louise

Post by Louise »

The DET Regional WHS Officer is still waiting for a response from the CSIS team , :coffee: :coffee: :cheesy: :cheesy:
but he is of the same opinion as myself that we still use C1/C2 until further notice.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

What are C1/C2 forms ?
This the first I have heard of them
Louise

Post by Louise »

C1/C2 is not a form but a excel database that was issued when CSIS was first introduced. It originally came on a disk and you copied C1 as many times as you had storage areas. Then C2 consolidated all of the C1 files and produces any licences, hazardous lists/information you may need. You can look at how this works on the CSIS site.
If you are a DET High school you should be using this for your Chemical Stocktake, until directed otherwise.
I am waiting for clarification from a WHS regional officer what is the preferred method if you don't have access to this database so people aren't wasting their time entering information into one platform and then in the near future need to enter it into some other thing.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

bigmack wrote:What are C1/C2 forms ?
This the first I have heard of them
me too!

CD ROM? Got one, but the computers don't recognise them anymore....so much needs updating! I know its coming....
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Thanks Louise . Had a look around for a CD but couldn't find one but as Narelle just said , won't work on new computers. Surprising its not downloadable from the CSIS online .
Since I've been here we have had everything on Chemwatch . We don't have any MSDS printed out as Everyone seems to think its OK to get them via Chemwatch when required . We do have a generic MSDS book which is as old as the CSIS .

Hoping Alan might have something to say about this at SLAMN [-o<
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

WHS legislation requires that all staff using the hazardous chemical have access to a current SDS they should also be familiar with the SDS before using the chemical). By only using Chemwatch, problems will arise if staff are not able to access the website due to power outages, the server being down etc. Just something to keep in mind.
Louise

Post by Louise »

I could email you the c1/c2 files and you copy them BUT I really don't know what the point would be as the database takes a lot of work and will be replaced soon... we hope.
Alan is an elusive person, he still hasn't even given the Regional WHS officer a reply email.
Narelle cant wait to catch up xx
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

This may help some of you, an excel chemical register
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Science S2C Store 1 2016.xls
That's mine if anyone's interested, please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, we don't get much information apart from what's on here. that's one of 3 stores
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.