Humane goldfish farewell

for anything else that doesn't fit.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Humane goldfish farewell

Post by bindibadgi »

Hiya,

I'm sure a few of you have been in the same situation.....our front office girls called me this morning because one of the goldfish they have is looking very poorly, upside down & can't swim properly, so they wanted to know how to kill it humanely. I did a quick google to get details etc, & found this method using clove oil.
http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatmen ... in-the-sky
Apparently freezing is quite nasty (I've done that in the past, & now I feel a sick at the thought of what I did :-( )
You can get clove oil from a pharmacy or health food store, so I'll get some, put the poor thing out of its misery, & let you know how it goes.

Not looking forward to this.....but if it's quick & painless I'll feel better.
bindibadgi
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Humane goldfish farewell

Post by smiley »

I regularly anaesthetize fantail guppies with clove oil, so we can see the red blood cells running around their tails. We have a "sleeping chamber" where we place them to go to sleep, which has a couple of drops of clove oil in a ice cream tub of water, and then a "recovery chamber" of clear water for them to wake up in. Every so often we have a irrecoverable sleep, :-( which is why I take them to the prep room to "recover", but pretty much the fishies have a big sleep, with wierd alien abduction dreams, and wake up happy afterwards. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Post by fibreweb »

Just checked my chem store and I have 5 bottles of Oil of Cloves. 8O

Apart from an anaesthetic for fish what else would it have been used for in the past? :oops:
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

When I started in science we had lots of beautiful (and very old) tiny bottles, too.

I knew of it as a home remedy for sever toothache, and have tried it - YUK! :crazy:

Just did a very quick google search - many interesting uses, but other than as an anaesthetic, nothing that seems to relate to school lab work.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

It was always used as a toothache remedy, stops pain almost immediatly, but you still have to make an appointment with the dentist, its not going to fix problem :coffee:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

My daughter once told me she had an upside down fish. :cry2:
She was told to feed them frozen peas and they will recover. :crazy:
She did and the fish was swimming the right way up in no time. :-)
I don't pretend to understand how this works, just passing on the story.
J
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

My son,who works part-time in a pet shop,told me our fish was swimming upside down because it had too much gas in it's belly. Don't know if thats true but the fish soon fixed itself up. I wonder if the peas are a remedy for this?
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

I love you crazy people! :cheesy:

I have been gently telling Bubbles that it is okay to 'let go' but he is not a quitter and although has been struggling for a couple of weeks now, will not go belly up. Not sure what to try but I am much reassured that I can give him a little sleep if he deteriorates further.

There's always something to learn here.

:D

Searchie
The Search Engine
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Yep, tried the peas, which worked for a while but don't seem to have any effect any more. Apparently the peas are to relieve constipation, if that's the problem (fish laxatives :yuck: ......who discovered that accidentally one day :cheesy: )

If the problem is genetic or physiological I've read there's nothing to be done, but I reckon it's just bloating in the gut which pushes the swim bladder further back, which causes him to float bum up. He seems pretty perky in general, & we're trying a bit of fasting for 2 days because that's supposed to help too, & also a pich of epsom salts is another good remedy & will unblock him in a flash.....or in a poop to be more accurate :giggle:

Anyway, he's still here & he seems happier, so no need for the final treatment yet. Thanks for all the info :thumbup:
bindibadgi