Pipette Fillers

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore
State/Location: NSW

Pipette Fillers

Post by Robdean »

Does anyone out there know a supplier of reliable pipette fillers?? Our Chem teacher doesn't like the Pi pump style filler, preferring the rubber types. We've bought from several suppliers over the years and generally only use them once a year when Yr 12 are doing their titrations. Each time, though, we seem to throw a fair few away as they no longer work! Any suggestions?
Robb

Pipette Fillers

Post by Robb »

Hi Robdean,

Just one question, what capacity are the Pi-pumps are you using? There are different type for different volume capacities. (Colour Coded for each calibrated amount).

In the laboratory I use a "Griffin Filler".

Essentially it is a bulb with three points on it where you squeeze. Each point represents three actions, Aspirate (aspirates liquid), Empty, Air to deflate to produce suction for aspiration.

These pipette bulbs are very resilient and quite accurate, as the more you squeeze a point, the faster the filling/emptying will be.

Any reputable scientific equipment supplier will have these available or areas where they can source them.

Great for yourself and/or classes.

Hope this helps...

Robb........
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

The rubber pipette fillers perish because kids suck chemicals up into bulb.
Every time they come back from class room make sure that you dry them out and don't leave them squeesed in, also I have a piece of 4mm rod that I can push the small glass marble into correct position
Robb

Pipette Pumps

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Just to re-iterate what you have mentioned, that the pumps do perish as liquid becomes aspirated into the bulb, but there are bulbs that are treated with Nitrile and are more resilient to effect of liquids.

The problem still rises with the glass beads becoming dislodged from the areas where they are seated but this can be easily rectified by the method you use.

Robb..
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Thanks for the feedback. We do have a Griffin filler which we're happy with. The rest are an assortment who knows what brand. I think we'll persue the Griffin ones Thanks for your help!
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Re: Pipette Fillers

Post by Jen1 »

I have been looking at pipette pumps and I'm not sure which ones to go for.
Science supply have Kartell at $29.50 and Polylab pi-pumps at $9.50. Does anyone have experience with either of these and which should I buy? Dont want to waste $20 if the cheap ones are ok, but more importantly dont want to waste $9.50 if the Polylab ones are useless. Livingstones also have them at $18.50, Haines at $23 and Serrata at $12.57 but I'm not sure which brand they are. All prices are for the red 25ml pumps.
Any help is most appreciated
jen
judygee

Post by judygee »

We have both the Griffin filler and the pi-pump, and use them according to preference! The pi-pump (red 25ml) we bought from Science Supply for around $10. The little darlings remove the little ratchet wheel from the top and make them completely useless and they take the glass bearings from the Griffin pumps and make those equally useless. They also fill the bulbs with solution!! Nobody seems to demonstrate their use - I think they are just given the equipment and left to work it out themselves. So I figure your "snorkled" whichever ones you choose. Cheery little soul, aren't I? Jude
Shas

Post by Shas »

When my cherubs fill the griffins with solution, I usually suck some water into the bulb, give it a swirl, and then expel the water. i might rinse with fresh water a couple of times, then get rid of as much of the water from the bulb as possible. i then leave it on my nice warm sunny windowsill (or some other warm spot) to dry. it usually works! :thumbup:

it's a real pest when they don't won't to work!!! :mad:
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

Jen,
We started with the bi-pumps and found that there were those that did not hold the fluid, it would slowly drain out, so we went to the bulb filler and sure someone will over fill but generally all is good.
Decisions decisions.
Sharon
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I have a class set of the Diji pipettes for a couple of specific Senior pracs, and they are generally great! :thumbup: Much less tears than rubber fillers. Our rubber pipette fillers also seem to have a half-life, especially in the heat.
Cheers, K 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Welcome back, Smiley! Where have you been?
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Went walkabout! :cheesy: (Sorry - indigenous joke)

Big Big BIG indigenous art festival up here called CIAF - my daughter's uncles had pieces in art and the place was filled with (RICH) arty types from USA, Europe etc, all come to buy fashionable Australian Indigenous art at zillions of $$$. So we had to go and attend stuff, and represent the Torres Strait. Then it was prac exam season and I haven't been near my computer for AGES. Glad to see you missed me. I missed being here too.
Cheers, K 8-)
Jen1

Post by Jen1 »

Thanks for your responses guys, keep them coming, as all info is appreciated. Smiley can you give me a bit more info on the Diji pipettes please? I havent heard of these ones. If you know where they came from I could perhaps find them in a catalogue.
Cheers Jen
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Do try Goggle, there is heaps on them.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Jen1

Post by Jen1 »

Yeah there is a fair bit on the internet on pipette pumps/fillers but i'm after the experience of the labbies here who will give an honest answer as to which are best.