OK that's just weird! :oops:
Cheers, K 8-)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Re: Junket!!

Post by rae »

Thats so expensive!! The junket tablets are 12 tablets and the pack was 9g and cost $2.99. Mind you tha tablets contain more than just rennin. They also have salt, calcium lactate, corn starch, tricalcium phosphate and calcium stearate. The rennin is the 5th ingredient so there is obviously not a lot in a tablet that weighs about 0.75g.
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Ah the ongoing saga with junket!

The reason the junket tablets were taken off the shelves from talking to IGA staff 2 years ago was that the tablets were being used as a base for illegal drugs . Who would have thought. 8O

Now why the powder is kept behind the counter I can't tell you but good to hear that the tablets are back on the shelves. :D I found the powder didn't work as well as the tablets plus more expensive.

Rosemary
SGG

Post by SGG »

I wonder if the IGA staff were confusing it with something else? I rang the company who made the junket tablets years ago when I was having difficulty finding the tablets. The company and WW, Coles had decided the sales were not big enough to produce junket anymore. A group of employees of the company (I spoke to one) started up "Simply Junket" to produce the junket but could only do the powder as they did not have the facilities to press it into tablets. They also had to find alternative outlets to WW and Coles (hence Healthfood stores, IGA and Franklins)and initially only sold it through mail order!
Regards
Sue G
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

Good morning

In woolworths Narellan, NSW, the Junket tablets are again available, 12 tablets for under $3 (Hansells Junket Tablets 9g). they are also available via their online store @ $3.22.
Hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Sharon
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

This is a fascinating discussion. Gotta love Chemtalk. I bought junket powder last week - from IGA and yes from the cigarette counter. I was starting to wonder 'what the?' as well. Interestingly I let the teacher know how expensive it was and to use it sparingly - but his response was "We only do it once a year" and promptly used two containers of it plus all the junket tablets we had left! He obviously doesn't manage the budget!

Cheers,

Patti
The Search Engine
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Hey kids. forget the junket! This rennet stuff works a treat. I use 1mL to make a 1% soln (100mLs) and that keeps a class going for a lesson. That 20mLs for $5.50 was good value. And even better, it's working!!! :grin:
Tina

Post by Tina »

Dear Ellice
We have just done the milk and rennin prac.
We used treatments.
Control -10 ml milk.
Acidic - 75 ml milk and .25 ml vinegar
Basic - 1/2 tspn bicarb soda and made up with milk to 10 ml.
(all go in water bath of 35-40 degrees celcius)

The previous year we used 1/2 ml of vinegar to make milk acidic but it curdled too much. 1/4 ml vinegar in 10 ml milk did make it curdle slightly but you could see the difference between the enzyme and no-enzyme treatment. Teachers and students seemed happy enough with this.

Cheers
Tina
joness

Post by joness »

Hi Everyone,

I have recently discovered Junket Tablets back on the shelf at my local Woolies, in the pudding section. I was previously ordering it from "simply junket". I heard people ringing in on a radio talk back show that they couldnt get junket anymore. Maybe the big supermarkets are listening to their customers. Check your local supermarkets again, you may be in luck.
lada

Post by lada »

I, too use rennet and it works really well. I Keep a bottle in the fridge and dilute down to 1% when needed. \:D/
Have a great weekend.
Lada :coffee:
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

We have just finished a practical Assessment task for the new Year 12 Bio using Junket. 3 classes.

Read that as 6 straight days of washing up over 50 beakers and 150 test tubes each day :w00t:
Thank goodness for the new dishwasher :clap3:

We use the "Simply Junket" powder and have found it a lot easier and more economical than tablets. If we had used the tablets we would have used at teast 150 tablets. I have measured the powder out into specimin jars, 0.7gm per jar (equal to 2 tablets) then add 50ml water and use 1ml per 10 ml substrate. It's a bit more concentrated then making junket but we get results quicker.

Wendy
Satu11
State/Location: QLD

Rennin-Urgent

Post by Satu11 »

Where can I buy rennin or jucket tablets....I need it tommorrow.
Kind Regards
Satu11
smiley

Re: Rennin-Urgent

Post by smiley »

Where are you in QLD? I buy junket from IGA here in Cairns. So, if I can get it up here, you must be able to get it further south. Hopefully! :crazy:
Cheers, K 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Do a ring around all your local supermarkets and health food stores. Someone should have some to sell! Do a search on here for junket and you will find suppliers you can order from directly for future reference.
Satu11

Post by Satu11 »

Thanx for replying...I called my local IGA store and they said they have jucket powder so I will pick up today evening for tommorow pracs.
Kind Regards
Satu11
rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

In Alice springs I can buy Junket tablets at Coles, jelly section
Rosalie(another one) :D
nahrein.yaghoubpour

junket

Post by nahrein.yaghoubpour »

Hi everyone
I went looking for junket yesterday & my franklins did not have it & neither did my woolies.
Can you please help me?
Cheers
Nahrein
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Try a Health Food shop or you can order it online from Simply Junket.
Carol
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Our local IGA has it and SPAR too I think.
Julie
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Our local IGA sells it. :thumbup: It had been taken off the shelves last year as I could not get it :-( but I noticed it a few weeks ago so i got some just incase it goes off the shelves again.

KIMMY