Ammonium nitrate

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
ellie
State/Location: ACT

Ammonium nitrate

Post by ellie »

Since ammonium nitrate is no longer available I am looking at suitable alternatives in the pracs we do. Science World 10 2/e has a prac called "observing copper ions" p121 which uses electrolysis on copper mesh and copper strip in an ammomium nitrate/ammonia bath. The copper ions then form a blue nitrate in solution so become visible. Has anyone used an alternative for this prac yet? Does sodium nitrate work as well? We were wondering if there is a copper ammoinium complex forming which enhances the colour. Can an ammium chloride/sodium nitrate solution be used to the same effect?

Thanks . I enjoy seeing everyone's bits, Have a great term 2
Ellie
Canberra
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

I was unaware Ammonium Nitrate was unavailable. When did this happen??

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

I believe its still available to schools; the govt making it hard for Al Qaeda & co. to get fertilizers containing > 45% (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate). More here:

http://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/agd/ ... +Sheet.pdf
Labbie

Ammonium nitrate

Post by Labbie »

Need to visit chemwatch for the information on Ammonium Nitrate which came through 27 feb 2008. "The maximum quantity of pure ammonium nitrate that may be located on any one site is 3kg, as required by the explosives regultion 2005 Det sites advised by Memoranda Dn/05/00493"

Apart from that not too much change.
Regards Labbie

labman
State/Location: SA

Re: Ammonium nitrate

Post by labman »

Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone has an answer to Ellies' original question in this forum. In South Australia, we are not allowed to keep Ammonium Nitrate in solid form(or purchase it). A couple of years ago, we had to make up any solid we had, into solution, and use it that way, until finished.
I am starting to get very low on solution, and even though I could get more solution from other schools, I am more interested in finding an alternative.
The "Observing Copper Ions" prac is a popular prac here, so an alternative solution would be great, but failing that, any other prac suggestions showing similar reactions would be welcome also.
Cheers,
Lisa
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Just to clarify ...no, wait... contradict my previous post: I put in a requisition which included 500g ammonium nitrate earlier this year. The company could not supply because " Item 1038058 is no longer available as the supply of this product to Australian schools has been banned by the Australian Govt."
:cry2:
Has anyone tried substituting with sodium nitrate?
Xe, SD, KOPR
davijo
State/Location: QLD

Ammonium Nitrate

Post by davijo »

Hi,
Would any one know of a substitute for Ammonium Nitrate, i have a prac for growing duckweed which requires 2 gm of Ammonium Nitrate but of course we can no longer buy it. I have seen Ammonium Cerium Nitrate in some Suppliers Catalogues but cant find out wether it can be used as a substitute fertiliser.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

If you only need it as a fertiliser, can you just buy some from an ag shop? Or a nursery or something? Just buy a fertiliser high in Ammonium Nitrate. If you don't need much you may even be able to just get a little bit out of a broken bag or something. Just a thought.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

This thread may help you.
Regards Labbie

macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Please help!!!!! being in the Catholic system, we don't get any offical updates, but I have been told if we have "heard else where" :w00t: that something is no longer allowed, we can be fined by workcover up to $4000 for not compling :crazy: So are we allowed to have solid Ammonium Nitrate? Are we allowed to have diluted form, if so how much and at what strength?

Hope someone can help :crazy:
Thanks
lada

Post by lada »

Hi Ellie,
you can use ammonium sulfate for the copper ion exp.
I made up 1M, and it worked really well.

You need the ammonium cation to produce the complex that will form the distinctive blue colour.

Good luck

Lada :coffee:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

macca, I haven't seen anything 'officially' yet either (note that this thread originally started back in May 2007!! Nothing happens quickly in this business...), but it is impossible to purchase! I have tried so many suppliers and even if they have it listed and I order it it comes back on the invoice as 'no longer supplied' or 'obsolete item' or something similar. If you have it, I'd say keep it (in solid form - it's great for exothermic/endothermic reactions) and use as little as possible when you do have to use it. When I was up to my last little bit I would put it in a little vial and send it out so that not too much was used. If you use a mini test tube, or a really small beaker, you don't need much water and ammonium nitrate to have it go very cold as it dissolves (I hope I am thinking of the right chemical here!). You can feel it and also measure its temp but you really don't need much so conserve it while you can!!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Here is NSW we are not BANNED from using it. We can not purchase it. We can only keep 3kg, that is the limited, once it has gone. NO MORE ever. Perhaps things are a little different in VIC??????????

Perhaps re-read 4th answer
Regards Labbie

macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Thanks everyone, we just get so much conflicting info it's not funny, I will still make the majority of it up into diluted solutions. Have around 1kg in total, in old Q-store jars (re-labelled a few years back) original were in lbs. So I guess I'm not going to run out soon :clap3:

Thanks again
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

One of out teachers tore open a cool pack - full of ammonium nitrate. ... so much for trying to stop Al-queda!!!!!!!!! 8O
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

What kind of cool pack?? I really want to know!! :lol: So much easier than filling out EUA's.
Cheers, K 8-)
lada

Post by lada »

I love that!!,So all I need now is a bruised hand and go to sister (yes over and over ond over...) :crazy:

Smiley, the lack we have here is just called "Qwik-Ice", but says it contains ammonium nitrate and water

Lada :coffee:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

I think all the single use instant cold packs are ammonium nitrate...

Ours was an unused one - we didn't rupture the inner liquid pouch - just opened it & kept the round granules of the ammonium nitrate.

Naughty :redcard: ............. but cool! :thumbup:

Better still - do the exothermic / endothermic pracs using them as they are...!
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Hi , it's been 12 months since this thread was talked about.
Has anyone had any luck in purchasing ammonium nitrate lately?
I have rang all my suppliers and had no luck, has anyone else?
we are allowed to have under 3 kg, but i just want 100g for our senior chemistry class.
please let me know,
Thanks heaps Trish
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

As far as I am aware, you need a license to purchase Ammonium Nitrate. Try ringing a few schools in your area, they may have some for you. Which area are you in?????????????
Regards Labbie