A general discussion and Q & A forum.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown
State/Location: NSW

Labcoats or aprons

Post by smeee »

In the light of recent COVID-19 - I am more aware of health issues with labcoats. I am thinking of going with aprons. One size fits most and gives protection to the front of the student. Labcoats are often kept open and long sleeves can be a hazard. Aprons are easily laundered and stored.
Your thoughts ?
Have just washed nearly 200 pairs of safety glasses. My co-ordinator says they are to be wiped/cleaned after every use (by whom ??)
TIA for your thoughts
littltesttube

Re: Labcoats or aprons

Post by littltesttube »

We use lab coats but have a fantastic group of parents that wash them for us usually at the end of term. The teachers generally wash any that may need cleaning in between. End of last term I took them home, we only have 30 as we are a small school.
The safety glasses have wipes on top of the box and students can clean if they want. I wash at end of each term.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We use to use Milton cold water on the safety glasses, I know some people use to put them in the dishwasher, but the arms always came loose. Good enough for babies mouth, was good enough for students eyes. We did this each term. We had plastic aprons for the students, we had lab coats, which we washed our selves.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
jackcr03

Post by jackcr03 »

I've a large bucket that I fill with hot soapy water in it for students to put their safety glasses in after every practical. I allow it to soak for a bit, then rinse and dry.