Magnets

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
shellythenewlabby
Posts: 37
Joined: 01 Jul 2016, 12:17
School: Woonona High School
State/Location: NSW

Magnets

Post by shellythenewlabby » 03 Feb 2020, 10:09

Hello everyone...I am looking at purchasing good bar magnets. The last 2 lots we have bought have not been strong enough so have sent them back..Does anyone know of a supplier that has good magnets..Thnaks

Merilyn1
Posts: 959
Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 08:10
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by Merilyn1 » 03 Feb 2020, 10:35

I've found the IEC ones are quite good. I've ordered more of these and am waiting on them. Also, one of my teachers wanted a certain type of magnet and found a company, AMF Magnetics that have a huge range, although don't know the quality but suspect they may be better than some of the cheaper "school-type" ones.

User avatar
shellythenewlabby
Posts: 37
Joined: 01 Jul 2016, 12:17
School: Woonona High School
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by shellythenewlabby » 03 Feb 2020, 10:37

Merilyn1 wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 10:35
I've found the IEC ones are quite good. I've ordered more of these and am waiting on them. Also, one of my teachers wanted a certain type of magnet and found a company, AMF Magnetics that have a huge range, although don't know the quality but suspect they may be better than some of the cheaper "school-type" ones.
Do you know what company you brought them from Merilyn1?

User avatar
ELIZABETH
Posts: 213
Joined: 02 Jun 2006, 10:00
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by ELIZABETH » 03 Feb 2020, 10:44

I've bought from AMF and the magnets are great.....and their customer service is excellent!
Liz

Merilyn1
Posts: 959
Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 08:10
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by Merilyn1 » 03 Feb 2020, 11:29

shellythenewlabby wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 10:37
Merilyn1 wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 10:35
I've found the IEC ones are quite good. I've ordered more of these and am waiting on them. Also, one of my teachers wanted a certain type of magnet and found a company, AMF Magnetics that have a huge range, although don't know the quality but suspect they may be better than some of the cheaper "school-type" ones.
Do you know what company you brought them from Merilyn1?
From Haines - they're described as Magnets, Alnico 75mm, Strong.

User avatar
shellythenewlabby
Posts: 37
Joined: 01 Jul 2016, 12:17
School: Woonona High School
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by shellythenewlabby » 03 Feb 2020, 11:37

ELIZABETH wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 10:44
I've bought from AMF and the magnets are great.....and their customer service is excellent!
Liz
Hi Liz, are these the ones you got https://magnet.com.au/alnico-block-magn ... x-5mm.html
thanks

User avatar
ELIZABETH
Posts: 213
Joined: 02 Jun 2006, 10:00
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by ELIZABETH » 04 Feb 2020, 11:26

Yes, Shelley, I've bought those and their neodymium magnets; both are good quality and value.

User avatar
Kathryn
Posts: 317
Joined: 01 Jun 2006, 10:00
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by Kathryn » 05 Feb 2020, 11:42

Good to get this info. The last lot of bar magnets I bought are absolutely hopeless so I have been reluctant to purchase more.
Kathryn :)

Marama T
Posts: 57
Joined: 01 Aug 2017, 12:19
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: Emmanuel Anglican College
Suburb: Ballina
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by Marama T » 05 Feb 2020, 11:58

You can remagnetise old magnets with the neodymium magnets. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I saw it on YouTube. Maybe it'll work to strengthen the dodgy ones too. You can only try.

bigmack
Posts: 396
Joined: 15 Dec 2015, 10:49
Job Title: Lab Assistant
State/Location: NSW

Re: Magnets

Post by bigmack » 06 Feb 2020, 09:16

Marama T wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 11:58
You can remagnetise old magnets with the neodymium magnets. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I saw it on YouTube. Maybe it'll work to strengthen the dodgy ones too. You can only try.
Yes it does work . We have a special re-magnetizer . it is a neodymium magnet moulded into a plastic handle .Just got to be careful which way you stroke the old bars otherwise you can make them the wrong polarity .

Post Reply