Tax Return Claim 2018

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
lab-woman
State/Location: NSW

Tax Return Claim 2018

Post by lab-woman »

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone claims on their tax returns as "Work Expenses" etc.

I will assume you have receipts lol.

I just have no idea what I should claim apart from work shoes and a small amount of travel mileage.

I do use my phone for work purposes....sometimes, but how do I go about claiming for that?

Any help here would be appreicated.

Thanks everyone.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: Tax Return Claim 2018

Post by macca »

I claim the maximum amount or just under for mileage that you don't have to have a log book for. Laundry, donations, Union fees I think that's about it.
I go through accountant so his fees, and if receipted items are under $600.00 you don't have to keep receipts.

please correct me if I'm wrong.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

To help with keeping track of your deductions, ATO has an app (yes, there's an app for everything these days). You can record journeys for work, save common journeys so easy each time to record. You can photograph receipts and it will save them. This information is automatically downloaded if you do your own tax return on-line.
I only claim mileage, laundry and self education expenses. I don't know of anything else.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Stationary - like a diary, pens, markers etc. My accountant says our shoes are not deductible ( :-( ). Laundry for lab coat or uniform, anything you may have bought with the school logo on it.
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes Lab shoes, you can claim, I have done this for about 20 years, have they stopped it now???
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I've heard you can only claim for safety shoes, ie those with steel caps. Worthwhile checking. I have seen what the ATO does to people if they take them to court - it is not pretty. So best to check first before claiming. You also need to consider that you are only receiving the tax back on things you claim, and given our tax bracket, it is not always a great sum, so may not be worth the stress.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

My tax agent stopped claiming my work shoes when I went from steel capped shoes to orthotics! I'll back you there, Merilyn.
Hey, Merilyn, you should change your profile settings. You are still showing as working at OPAC.
Cheers
Ian
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Ian wrote:My tax agent stopped claiming my work shoes when I went from steel capped shoes to orthotics! I'll back you there, Merilyn.
Hey, Merilyn, you should change your profile settings. You are still showing as working at OPAC.
Cheers
Ian
Oops yep, better do that. It feels like they might be keeping me around after my first week!
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

It would be OK if they paid you for both jobs! :)

Ian
mjusk2
State/Location: QLD

Post by mjusk2 »

I claim hat, sunburn cream, mozi repellent, mini first aid kit, back pack, rain coat, 10% mobile phone bill, 10% internet fees, hiking shoes, plus usual stuff.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Wow, what sort of job are you doing? The average labbie wouldn't be able to claim those sorts of things. You must have a much more interesting life than me!
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

I claim my shoes as it is stipulated you MUST wear leather fully enclosed shoes - and these are not shoes I would ordinarily buy - and they are only worn for work ... also claim sunnies and face cream and mobile and internet from home
With thanks Kate :coffee: