A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle
State/Location: NSW

Inoculating Wires / Loops

Post by Lorikeet »

Does anyone have a tried and tested (inexpensive) way to make these ... All replies gratefully received .. K8
With thanks Kate :coffee:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Inoculating Wires / Loops

Post by Merilyn1 »

I've made them using glass tubing that has a very fine hollow. I think it is sold as capillary tubing. I then use nichrome wire (22swg). Cut a length, single wrap around a rod (I had some small timber rods in my last school, but anything that gives the right diameter), then use a pair of pliers to twist the loop closed. Hope this makes sense. Then thread the wire into the centre of the tubing. When the wire wears out, you can sometimes pull it out intact and reuse the glass. Other times it just doesn't.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Merilyn1 wrote:I've made them using glass tubing that has a very fine hollow. I think it is sold as capillary tubing. I then use nichrome wire (22swg). Cut a length, single wrap around a rod then use a pair of pliers to twist the loop closed. Hope this makes sense. Then thread the wire into the centre of the tubing. When the wire wears out, you can sometimes pull it out intact and reuse the glass. Other times it just doesn't.
Same as above, or place looped wire into a large cork, great for flame test (solids)
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

I also did some same as merilyn but I would suggest fire glazing the handle end to keep the young'ns hands safe . Also a few gentle crimps in the wire will help it stay put in the capillary tube if it won't stay put .
I have seen methods of fire glazing the wire in the tube but when I tried it , it just cracked so stayed with poking a crimped wire up instead .