Jennag
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Clare High School
Suburb: Clare
State/Location: SA

Bunsen Burner storage

Post by Jennag »

Hi guys,

Just wondering how you store your Bunsen burners?
We currently have 3 separate sets that sit in a tub on a trolley in-between each lab area and im slightly worried that they may get put away when the are hot even though common sense would say not to. Any suggestions?
I have seen a peg board style one and thought this looks good but probably not so practical for the trolleys as I have to move them around a lot

Jenna
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Bunsen Burner storage

Post by Merilyn1 »

We have enough for each work station in each lab, so they are stored in the cupboard under the bench. Also means I don't have to worry about supplying them. The teachers here seem pretty good at remembering not to pack things away until it has cooled down.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Here we also have enough to have one stored under each work station along with a tripod, gauze, test tube holder, boss head, clamp, Plastic filter funnel, pipeclay triangle and test tube brush.
With only me, 4 days and 1 hour a week and 7 labs I have tried to make each area as self sufficient as possible.
I check all the workstations and labs on a weekly basis during their sport afternoon.
Jennag

Post by Jennag »

yes unfortunately the labs are used as general classrooms more often then they should be so I don't leave anything in the labs at all.
the trolleys are always ready to go and kept in the labs store that sit in between each set of labs. I have downstairs, upstairs and middle school.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Our Principal has insurance problem we think. NO GLASS WARE IN THE CLASS ROOMS AT ALL. Every thing must be ordered, it took a while but now every teacher has the hang of it. Only a very few items are stored in the labs, Bunsens being one of them, But no glass ware at all. I have got use to that system, although at first it was a pain.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

We have, in each lab, a block of wood attached to the wall, about 3 feet or so high with nails banged into it and the bunsens hang on the nails, works well.
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
MissKat
Job Title: Science Technician
School: Cranbrook School
Suburb: Bellevue Hill

Post by MissKat »

We have one under each bench in the labs. I know how you feel with the hot equipment though. The students place the tripods and gauze mats in the drawers when they are still warm and it etches into the lining!
shs

Post by shs »

We kept our Bunsen burners in a wooden rack that has a hole to put each Bunsen barrels, see attached but now since the lab refurbishment they are kept at each workstation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jennag

Post by Jennag »

thanks guys,

yes thinking the board with nails I have seen a picture of it
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I was going to get a storage board - but then realised that the teachers here would not use it - I see how they handle all the other gear that have storage options, so I am not wasting time, strees and breath on it. They can just shove the bunsens into a cupboard as they have done for 30 years
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I have been told that the old drawers from the banks of drawers in the labs prior to the refurbishment have asbestos in the lacquer and must be removed from the school
I have about 200 of them used for equipment class sets etc.
Most importantly there is one under each lab workstation containing a bunsen, tripod, gauze mat, boss head , clamp, tt holder and funnel. They are supplying me with tote trays to replace some of the storage but that is not an option for hot tripods and bunsen burners.
There is limited other storage space in the labs.
How do others store their bunsens, heat mats and tripods
I have read the suggestions above but none seem suitable for our situation. I have 6 labs spread over 3 blocks.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I get the teachers to leave the equipment out until it has cooled, then either they pack it away, get the next class to do it, or I put it away. It doesn't take long to cool down. Hope you could get your teachers on board with this.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Asbestos in the lacquer??? Would that be true here too? We are using the drawers in many and varied ways across the faculty. How do I find out about this one?
M
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

We have wooden boxes courtesy of TAS .
They generally sit on the teachers trolley with the safety goggles.
Like Merilyn said , they cool down quick so although we have PVC tube on them , rarely do we get a melted one because the Bunsens were thrown ( I mean carefully placed ) in the box after a prac.
Bunsens.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I MEan carefully placed good one
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Btilley
Job Title: SAO Science
School: Lake Macquarie High School

Bunsen Burner storage

Post by Btilley »

Good morning, we've recently bought new Bunsen Burners. Our old ones had holes in bottom, which we hung easily on a wooden plank, however our new Bunsens don't have a hole, and therefore we need to come up with another solution to storing them in the labs.

Could you please give me ideas on how you store them.
Many thanks.
Barbara

PS I have seen the suggestions above, but thought I'd check out with you more experienced labbies, if you've come up with newer ideas.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Ours are just in a tub under each station. Bunsen, tripod, heatproof mats, etc all in one tub and it all gets thrown back in at the end of the lesson. Usually the time taken to clean up after a prac is long enough for the bunsen to cool down so it hasn't been a problem. If the prac runs a bit late they just leave the hot stuff out and the teacher will usually put it away during the next lesson or during the break.
shaz.H
Job Title: jack of all trades
School: Thomas Hassall Anglican Coleege
Suburb: Middleton Grange

Post by shaz.H »

Hello,
Our labs have benches with cupboards where we keep Bunsen burners, tripod, gauze, metal tongs, test tube racks and power supply per bench. I have never stored them separately. I guess it depends on how many labs/classes you have and if your benches have storage space. Maybe making a rack of some sort like you said where they can be held by dowel either side by the base?
Goodluck