A general discussion and Q & A forum.
dcarroll
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Geelong College
Suburb: Newtown
State/Location: VIC

Recommended Chemical List

Post by dcarroll »

Science ASSIST has now published a comprehensive "Recommended Chemicals List" which has a lot of information on most of the chemicals that are found in schools. Here is a direct link to the page on the Science ASSIST web-site where you can download an excel copy of the file. http://assist.asta.edu.au/resource/3052 ... id=34587a4
This has taken into account information from around Australia.
While there have a look at the site for many other useful resources for both technicians and teachers, register on the site to ask any questions that the team can answer.

Thanks
Dale
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant
State/Location: NSW

Re: Recommended Chemical List

Post by AnnNos »

Am I doing something wrong? I can download the page but it only has a blue information box but no chemicals.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

It's telling me I can't download ??
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

do you have to be a member or subscribe?
lorelirag

Post by lorelirag »

You don't necessarily have to be subscriber to access information from Science Assist.
When you open the document there are a series of tabs to click on.
You can also use the arrows at the bottom left to scroll to the chemical list you are interested in.

Hope this helps,
Lorna
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

The message I am getting is "access to web server is disabled by default because it doesn't use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)"
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Yes, it is in a spreadsheet format and each tab (worksheet) has different information. Keep clicking on tabs and you will find what you need.

And Narelle - it is worthwhile registering as you can then post questions which will be answered by qualified people. I have found them really useful. There is also lots of other information, including Safe Operating Procedures specific for our job.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

When I tried to print some pages out I found I had to alter settings on the Print page.
Page size and orientation to A4, the margins and from "print sheet on one page" to "No scaling" and then alter column sizes to fit.
It seems a wonderful resource, thanks to all those that spent what must have been hours and hours developing it.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

I just joined. Their site is not as good as this one but they did respond to my query with an email, and then a follow up email just to clarify their first email. Most helpful.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I printed off all the information on the chemicals and because the printer tried to fit everything on the A4 sheet I will need a very large hand lens to read the damn thing. #-o I think it could have been a little more user friendly and because the type is so tiny it is a little hard to compare with what I already have on hand with regards to approved or banned chemicals.