GHS labels

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
glenpaul
State/Location: NSW

GHS labels

Post by glenpaul »

Hi
Do we need to print the new GHS labels in colour when we are labeling for an experiment, eg 1.0M Hydrochloric Acid labels onto dropper bottles or 100mL reagent jars for 1 lesson?
shaz.H
Job Title: jack of all trades
School: Thomas Hassall Anglican Coleege
Suburb: Middleton Grange

Re: GHS labels

Post by shaz.H »

Hi, I don't have access to a colour printer in Science ,so I email it to admin and they print it for me in colour however if I am in a hurry I just print black and white and if need be colour in/outline the areas with a red texta.
shaz
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We do not have to print them in colour, only the colour dots need to be in Colour. Do hope that makes sense?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I thought the GHS symbols needed to be in colour, but I could be wrong. There is something in the GHS labelling code that gives direction about labelling small containers. I've also read something somewhere that gives guidelines on labelling items that are to be used straight away. I just can't remember where I read this! Maybe this will jog someone else's memory?

Reading this, I don't know if I've been of much help at all :giggle:
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

CSIS you would have seen labelling in the Chemical safety In Schools. That is why the GHS signs are in black & white, with a red line around them.
Regards Labbie

glenpaul

Post by glenpaul »

GHS Labels
Merilyn1, when you said "GHS Labelling code that gives direction about labeling small containers" what code are you referring to?
I have "safe work Australia" - Understanding Hazardous Chemical Labels but I don't have anything else.
Has the DET put anything out. AIS hasn't yet that I know of and the Catholics hadn't when I went to Sydney Grammar late last year. I am in an Independent school and rather isolated so I am wondering if I have missed something.
I am asking about the colour because I am trying to get a colour printer for the Science dept. Is everyone printing the new mini SDS and Full SDS in colour?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Here's the link to Safe Work Australia that has a document for labelling of chemicals. Most of it is not terribly relevant, although there is a section on labelling small containers:

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sit ... micals-cop

And Glenpaul - I'll pm you with some long winded details!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I print in everything in colour.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Once again, it does state it should be printed in colour, but the DEC states it does not need to be printed in colour. So once again who is right and who is wrong. I do not have a coloured printer, so ours are black & white. Me thinks some things go to far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards Labbie

sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

You guys ar elucky working for DET - as they tell you what they want you to do and take the responsibility of it all. in Independent adn catholic systems, it is usually the labtech who has to nut htis out and fight for the colour printers and try to make sure the school is doing it right.. If we didnt have chemtalk or local networks I think we woudl all be off sick due to extreme stress
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I agree Sunray, seems there is little help available. I've been told we are still to rely on the CSIS package, although we can't access the new one. So in effect we are relying on a document that is now over 15 years old and which during that 15 years there have been two health and safety acts introduced!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The new one is still being written.
Regards Labbie

jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

Sunray you have hit it on the nail. My HOD and principle would have no idea what the regulations are or how we are supposed to follow them. If it wasn't for Chemtalk, I would have no idea what I was doing. Saying that, it still seems to be unclear as to exactly what we have to do.
I have printed all new SDS' in colour and have started to replace my labels with new GHS labels,in colour.
We don't have a colour printer in science ( I have asked for one and have been refused )so I sit up in the library when I get the chance and print them off.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

If the Library is air conditioned and you aren't bugged by teachers all the time - I would be printing out labels for the next millenia!
Rita

Post by Rita »

I am trying to get a label for 0.1M NaOH. Done lots of labels in past but today when I select what I want Chemwatch jumps to MSDS! grrrr
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Rita wrote:I am trying to get a label for 0.1M NaOH. Done lots of labels in past but today when I select what I want Chemwatch jumps to MSDS! grrrr
I had this problem earlier in the week with 0.1M HCl. It was driving me insane. I gave up then went back to it later and it worked. Go figure
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I found it! If anyone is still interested, Science Assist people have put together some information on labelling. It does state that the GHS pictograms can have a black border and it does detail labelling for small containers and decanted chemicals.
http://assist.asta.edu.au/resource/2455 ... id=1dff4f4

Didn't think I was dreaming :D
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Bumping for Lizz B think is it.
Regards Labbie

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Many thanks Sue & Merilyn,

I think I've seen this one, but will have another read of it to refresh my memory.

Was really wondering if any DET schools have seen a directive from the Dept regarding this yet?

Cheers
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!