Setting up yet another prep room

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Setting up yet another prep room

Post by Labbie »

As our school grows yet again, I will have another prep room, my fifth, and class room, all to set up so I am ordering or planning for next year. Wish they had told me last month. They always leave it to the last minute to tell you about it.

That will make 8 labs & Five prep rooms and just me. Help.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labtechie70
Suburb: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Setting up yet another prep room

Post by Labtechie70 »

Goodness gracious me, how do you keep up?
We're 2 full-time, with 4 labs, 2 prep rooms.
I must admit that we are not busy all the time..........

Hopefully next year they'll employ an assistant for you???? Good luck!

What happens if you get sick and need time off? :unsure:
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Oh we have begged yes BEGGED for one, For the last 12.5 years donated 30 mins every day. But I have no choice but to put a stop to that, Sue will do it. I had a lovely person start term 2, gosh she is great. But then they got so busy in the Front office, so she is there. Believe me I have tried the PSA, but it up to the SAM, and I guess the SAM does not like me. Each day seems to be getting harder or I'm getting older, one or the two.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I had 19 days off sick one year, think it was 2012, I cried when I came back, dirty glass ware every where, new head teacher did know he should have asked. SAm should have knowen after 11 days I should have someone replace me. I never take sick days, its just to hard when you come back.
Regards Labbie

dime

Post by dime »

Oh Sue that's an impossible situation. Your head teacher really must jump up and down to the boss. It used to be up to the SAM here for SAS allocations but the last few principals have the say. We are about to get shafted in Science because we are not in the principal's ear, and I am trying to rev up the Head Teacher to complain bitterly. I have always said the the squeaky gate gets the attention, people will give in to shut it up. Seen it time and time again; only trouble is, with most of us, we don't want to appear a whinger. But then we don't get the recognition or attention. :console: :cry2:
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Ture, but our Principal leaves it to the SAM, and front office is more important. And the PSA have been of NO help.

Any way I am hoping someone out their in chemtalk land, has a demountable LAB, would it be possible for a photo, has it got a little room off the classroom, for storage of a few items?
Regards Labbie

lada

Post by lada »

Poor Sue,
I applied for LSL in term 1 next year. Gave them whole term notice to get someone in. So I asked HOD yesterday, and they will get a uni student to help out. I have a few issues to work through over holidays (mainly money) and all being well I will not be back. That will teach them to underestimate work we do. Two of our 4 labs will be refurbished over holidays so HOD asked would I come for a few days to help put everything away. NOT A CHANCE. We will be doing a road trip down the coast,
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Good for you Lada, I do hope you enjoy your holiday, and you get to reitire. Even some head teachers do not understand all the work we do.
Regards Labbie

jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

You poor thing Labbie,

I have 7 labs and 3 prep rooms and work 28 hours a week and I'm also the WHS rep so feel your pain!
How many students do you have that you need 5 prep rooms? How big is the school? Is it spread out?

I have asked for LSL for the first 4 weeks of term 2 next year. I don't get replaced so will work through the 2 weeks school holidays to prepare as many pracs as possible. I have asked for extra hours but it falls onto deaf ears.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

So sorry to hear about your situation, Sue, and wish you well in finding a solution.

Some schools/managers can't seem to think outside the square, let alone appreciate the fantastic resources they have in their staff.

Have you tried putting it in writing? Principal, SAM and WHS committee, perhaps?

Mostly, I just want to thank you for your generosity of time and support for all of us Chemtalkers. In spite of such a huge workload, you are always here with knowledge, advice and good humour. Bless you!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Liz, that is kind of you.

Have a very Merry Christmas.
Regards Labbie

fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I have had 2 demountable labs for the last 2 years following our major fire in March 2012.
Last week we were givent the keys to the new labs so I have been spending a lot of time and energy transfering the equipment from one place to another.
This is what the demountable labs and prep rooms look like. They have been taken over by English until their new classrooms are finished as the Department needs the English demountables. Hence the mess in them, not science stuff!!!!!!
PC090030 reduced.jpg
This is from the outside
PC090027reduced.jpg
Looking in
PC090029reduced.jpg
Looking back to the door. You will see that you have a sink with hot water several cupboards and a bench with a sink and gas tap.
One we had previously was not set up exactly the same but did have cupboards and drawers and sinks and a gas tap.
By the way I am sick of moving stuff from one prep room to another. this is the 17th time in the last 5 years I have moved stuff either into or out of labs :crazy:
We had refurbishment of all 7 labs then the fire which has necessitated moving into and now out of the demountables. I'm over it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Thank you so very much for the photos, that is just what I was hoping for. I can understand and feel for you fibreweb I bet you did it all on your own. Am I correct?????????
Regards Labbie

fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There has been some student help with carrying, especially this time as it's and of term and the teachers are too lazy to teach so are glad to have some occupation for the students.
It doesn't help though when a teacher decides to lock the room on you whilst you have 4 students with you loaded up and then take the key away with him :redcard:
Incidently that is the same teacher who mixed up a Kilo of plaster to put into 8 agar plates for fossils.
Needless to say there was about 800gm of then solid plaster to dispose of.
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

Hi Labbie
I feel your pain. I think most of us in Labbie land go beyond the call of duty - the SAMs don't understand - so I got out of the Public System.
I think it is all too much some times. Not really much better in the Private System - they tell me I am paid too much!
Adrianna
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I have now asked for a aircon for the main prep room, and another dishwasher. I'll let you know if we get one or both.
Regards Labbie

sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

It is not just the public sector that is the problem! It is the whole education field!
I have 7 labs and 4 prep rooms.. and now I am back to just me again - last year I had 15 teachers to look after - this year 13 of them.
I had a lovely assistant who had 6 hours a week plus 3 floating hours between here and doing chemsafety for Art.. they cut her back to the 6 hours. She is coming in a few hours a day as a volunteer toh elp me, because I am on light duties from medical issues over the holidays.. they won't pay her to come in to help me only to come in if I am not here..
They didnt cut back the office - who have time to read facebook and talk and have long morning teas, no, they cut back in Science.. and HOD did not do anything..

I keep reminding the Union that Science Techs should not be included with all the rest of the support staff as we do so much more and carry so much more responsibility than nayone else.... I am a 'rusty wheel' with them.. but still the system wants to reduce our pay by 20%
I would be better off on the dole! at that.