A general discussion and Q & A forum.
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Re: Broken Glassware

Post by dss8386 »

I have sharps bins in all labs as well as my preproom. If something is broken, they sweep it up and place it in the bright yellow sharps bin.

At the end of each term, I go around and collect all the glass and put it all in a box with newspaper and put it in a skip bin. I really don't know how else it could be done. We don't have recycling at the school so it all goes in the one bin. I try and wait for the skip to arrive at the end of each term. the skip I usually put it in usually contains old furniture glass etc so I label it as best I can. I try and keep the boxes that I get my glassware because they have big red Fragile - Glass stickers on them. If people cannot read, not my problem.

Dave
superbug
State/Location: NSW

Post by superbug »

I always let maintenance know I have thrown out glass, just in case, they do decide to jump in. not sure if they do jump in, but I let them know anyway.
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

we have a separate broken glass box(empty photopaper box) in the prep-room for broken glass only and once it's full we we tape it up with the lid and write all over it before putting it into the hopper. no broken glass can go into any other bin.
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

Most of our broken glass is from smallish containers - lots of test tubes and small beakers - so I give the teachers an ice cream container which when full I put the lid on and tape up, label broken glass and put in bin.
lada

Post by lada »

I have same Mardi, two A4 boxes from copy room and place them in my two prep rooms with brush and pan and big sign "BROKEN GLASS". I get large items as well, beakers or tall measuring cylinders
m

Post by m »

hi all
I have a sharps bin for each lab and when full only I empty it into the large skip so no one is at risk
when something is broken the teacher uses dust pan to collect glass and deposits it in the bin
works well, no one has been cut by glass yet

m