Which bunsen?

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
The Search Engine
State/Location: NSW

Which bunsen?

Post by The Search Engine »

Hello folks,
I have had the principal and the local plumber/gasfitter ask me about the correct bunses to use :crazy:

apparently the plumber did a test of a range of bunsens and some flames were unsuitably large.

Anyone have any information on what sort of bunsens and what size flames NSW DET should be using?

As if I didn't have enough to do!!!!

Cheers,

Searchie
The Search Engine
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Which bunsen?

Post by Lyn »

Aren't the correct bunsens the ones you are normally supplied with? #-o Don't get your knickers in a knot. I have bunsens with a flame range of half inch to about three or four inches. Naturally the taller flames are the most functional bunsen burners. Some bunsens have one hole for air inflow and some have four holes. If you have bunsens with four holes then you are on a winner. More than likely the really tall flames were your safety flames.
Lyn.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

The only thing to worry about
Are you on Natural Gas or LPG (big tank in school grounds somewhere)?
Now are you using Bunsens for the correct gas?
The differences in flame height will result from old Bousens that have had their jets reamed (cleaned) a No of times
If too big just order new Jets!!!! :-)
The Search Engine

Thanks guys,
I thought what I had was just fine and that a big flame was not an issue. All the better to see it with, my dear.
We have a big gas tank in the school yard and this hasn't changed recently. Read back over some bunsen posts this morning where the gas had been changed without the labbie knowing! Classic.

Hey Ocker, my darling niece is now an attendee of SFX. Don't think she does any science though. I'll have to ask her.

Cheers,

Searchie
The Search Engine
The Search Engine

By the way - have you seen Google this morning?
It is Robert Bunsen's 200th birthday - can you just imagine the size of the flame on 200 candles!! :cheesy:

Searchie
The Search Engine
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

I bought new bunsens this year and they burn so high I am very worried about kids using them. In fact I recommended they not to be used with junior students. But one of the teachers has suggested I return them as what is the point of having equipment which is not safe. They are LPG which is correct for our type of gas.

kathryn
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

If we have high flames the kids just reduce the amount of gas going through, so instead of the gas tap being on full it might be only 3/4. Seems to work.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Searchie! I think they might be marked LPG but actually fitted with Natural gas Jets by mistake you could go to gas supply mob and they would check them for you