Where do you buy your beakers from?

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
The Search Engine
State/Location: NSW

Where do you buy your beakers from?

Post by The Search Engine »

Hello folks,
Long time no chat. Haven't had a chance to see how you are all going this year. Have hit the ground running.
Unfortunately plenty of beakers have "hit the ground" too and I need to order more. Have just discovered that Q Stores no longer stock beakers ??? :?
Do any of you clever people have a recommended supplier?

Cheers,

Searchie
The Search Engine
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Where do you buy your beakers from?

Post by Labbie »

IF you are a DET school, you should order through the Procurement, at this stage Serrata is the only Science supplier. Q-stores are not allow to sell to DET school any more, for SCIENCE ONLY.

I bet this does not help right now.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

yes poohooh that we can't just buy from officemax / q stores anymore.....
Anyways also try Livingstone - on the front of their catalogue they sent me, it says that they are with "smartbuy". Although their prices are not so cheap - maybe their quality is better.

I placed 3 orders with serrata in week 1, 2 & 3...still waiting for them to arrive - desperately need the measuring cylinders i ordered....
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

We still get from QStores (office Max) if you can find a old Qstores book and find the product number than you should be able to get it. I have ordered from them this year.

Kimmy. :thumbup:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

when i went to put an order thru they told me they numbers were not valid...and the items werre longer stocked (dropper bottle holders & 500ml beakers)
Maybe if they didn't know i was DET - it actually all started when i called and asked for the science supplement to the catalogue..
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

In Melbourne Officemax's latest catalogue has some science pages.
The difference now is that Officemax outsource their Science equipment so the order goes onto another supplier.
Bomex 500ml Beakers are item no. 8018995 @ $4.90
Simax 600ml Beakers are item no. 8019096 @ $5.08
Ask for a new catalogue.

Maree
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

I am having the same problem with Serrata. I put an order in in week 2 ago and nothing has arrived, i rang this morning and was told that they are very busy and my order has not even been started, but he would see to it straight away and i should have it early next week.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

They do get behind at this time of year. Understandably so! With all of us putting orders in for the start of the year... If you require stuff urgently just ring them when you fax your order through, or write 'urgent' on your order.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

As serrata are only a few suburbs away - i was thinking of going over and picking them all up to avoid the postage - and sortage by the office to get it quickly.

I just feel like we have been bullied into using a small number of suppliers - and with the increase in growth in their business, they should out on a few more staff this time of year!!!
rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

I recomend spending a little more and buying good quality beakers, They last longer and are safer than cheap ones.
Rosalie (another one) :-)
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

hi
your ordering problem is eay fixed by writing in large letters at the bottom of your order form
" ONLY SUPPLIER OF THE PRODUCT " or "NO OTHER SUPPLIER OF THIS BRAND" ..........something along those
lines and it will pass through audit because it is a specific item required for science....and serrata doesnot supply everything we need!
good luck matchstick
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

The problem is Officemax are telling us the codes / what we want are not available (to us or everyone, not sure)
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

I have purchased beakers from Westlab in Victoria. They are good quality and not too expensive. I know we in the ACT are supposed to use a certain supplier for office supplies but thankfully we have not been restricted to just one supplier of science equipment. That would be so hard considering how little money we have each year to spend on supplies. It always amazes me that even though we have a lot more consumables than other faculties we seem to get the same budget (or less) than others. :-? where is the sense??
Tigger
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Strewth! I'm glad you guys cleared that up!!

:?

I appreciate your replies - can't believe at how many stages in this ordering process that my hands are tied!! :banghead:

time for lunch I think.

Thanks heaps

Patti (frustrated little DET search engine!)
The Search Engine
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi,
I do the school ordering and am supposed to do most of it through smartbuy. I rang asking why I couldn't find science equipment under the catalogue search and was told that I had to go to the next catalogue section and order stuff that comes from serratta. Be nice if they told the schools the change of ordering system!!
Anyway, I received glass funnels yesterday, I can't believe the crappy standard of glass. I can't see it lasting too long, it is so thin and a really poor quality glass. Certainly doesn't even come close to the type of glass that the funnels are made from that I have had for about 5 years. If the price matched the quality I wouldn't mind so much.
E.
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I don't have a user name or password so I can only 'browse' the cataloge.Then I have to print out my shopping list and the SAM has to type it all back into the system to place an order. She has also told me that science supplies are not yet covered by the 'Smart Buy' system so I can order from whomever I choose. Is the system not fully rolled out throughout the state?
Carol