STELR

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

STELR

Post by Rowyrow »

has anyone elses school signed up for this programm? We have but still have not recieved the equiptment that was promised in february. The teachers were sent on their PD courses for it back in march, but we still don't have the resources that go with the programm. Has anyone else got their stuff yet?
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant
State/Location: NSW

Re: STELR

Post by Ocker »

Would not effect us, but What does STELR stand for? courious
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Science and Technology Education Leveraging Relevance (STELR). Is a national programm funded by federal gov.
"The STELR Stage One Project supports the proposed National Science Curriculum" supposedly
www.stelr.org.au for more info
rell
State/Location: VIC

Post by rell »

Hi all, our STELR gear arrived a week ago. We haven't sorted it out yet but will do it with Year 9 classes here

Narelle
Irymple Secondary College
Victoria
presto2
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Gorokan High School
Suburb: Lakehaven

Post by presto2 »

Hi
Our equipment arrived two weeks ago. Now just waiting till the fun starts.
Lots of classes not enough equipment ( we will have to stagger the start).
Hope you get your equipment soon.
Mary
celia1

Post by celia1 »

At Fort Street high a Couple of teacher went to STELR

We still have not received any thing

Celia
Debbie
State/Location: QLD

Post by Debbie »

It might be worth you giving STELR a ring. We hadn't received our goodies so rang - they had "forgotton" about us!! :cry2: The teachers played with it this week - looks like it could be fun :clap3:

Debbie :coffee:
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Well we emailed them last week and got all our stuff yesterday !!!! Now I just need to figure out what it all is and what it's suppose to do :D
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: STELR renewable energy kits

Post by fibreweb »

Picking up a topic from 2 years ago.
our school has just received our 10 STELR kits and I was wondering how other school who already have the kits store and use them.
Basically have you left the kits in the original cardboard boxes that they came in and the whole box goes out to the students for the lessons or have you broken them up and stored them in their separate pieces.
Like all the solar panels together on a box, all the multi meters in a box, windmill hubs and vanes together and only send out what is going to be used that lesson.
My HD initially wanted to keep them in their boxes but i can see the bits not being used for that lesson stolen or damaged.
Only give the little blighters what they actually need for the lesson and maybe then the teachers can manage to get it all back.

For those that don't know any thing about STELR ( I didn't until lasty week when I was told we were purchasing this equipment and i would have to find space for 10 45cm x 45cm x10 cm boxes!)
In these boxes are 84 odd separate items from leads to multimeters, 45 windmill vanes, cotton reel motors only a few of which would be used in any one lesson.
Picture of kits.docx
It all looks like great fun but I want to keep them usable for as long as possible.

What have others done or any thoughts
Thanks, Wendy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Emmer Chisit, I want to get one of those, for myself to play with blow the school Cool!
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa

Post by pkij »

Ah the dilemma of how to store the STELR kits, we have had them since 2010 and I still have not worked it out . I agree about only giving them what they need for each activity, and I had separated all the equipment into containers. But my HOD wanted EVERYTHING from one kit to be out for each activity (I made up plastic tubs). This of course ends up mixed up, bits get lost or stolen, the heavy power supplies on top of solar panels and the electrical leads tangled, so I dont think that works at all. 8-[

I would be most interested in a storage solution as I again sort through all the equipment for the end of year tidy up.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Post by Lyn »

I have kept everything in the boxes and only send out what is required for the lesson. (That is on the middle school campus.) HOWEVER I have a number of sets on the senior campus and the whole of the box is being given to the students. This means that equipment gets mixed from one box to the next in particular the fan blades and the leads. I do think that the boxes are useful for storage because I would only have to try and find suitable containers for all the bits. The original boxes are sturdy enough and they already have compartments for every piece. Why try and reinvent the wheel until it is completely necessary.
Lyn.
Last edited by Lyn on 21 Nov 2013, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
elly
Job Title: scientific assistant
School: St Anthony's Catholic College
Suburb: townsville

Post by elly »

Hi,
We have the same number of kits. I did exactly what you had in mind. I took the cardboard dividers out of most of the boxes or rearranged them as needed eg to separate the windmill hubs and vanes and labelled the boxes as required. I think that rearranging the boxes has made it easier for me to to put my hands on equipment, especially if for example one or two pieces are required for a demo. If several classes are working through the units I'll load a large trolley with the equipment (grouped as per station) and keep it aside for as long as needed. The teachers are very happy with the STELR equipment.

Ellison
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Mine are kept in the original boxes. All the gear gets mixed up and put back in the wrong boxes as expected. :-(
But I have a great physics teacher who gets his class to help me to sort everything out and put back in correct box at the end of the unit each year. :clap3:
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by Vick »

I have mine separated into different boxes i.e. solar panels all together etc. I find it easier to go to each box to get the equipment needed for pracs. However, I have kept the "small" kits (little cars, infra red thermometer etc) together in their original boxes, I find this works well.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

we purchased a trolley on wheels with 18 plastic tubs in it. I have 1 tub for the wires, 1 tub for the motors, 2 tubs for the testing stations. etc----
Its great as the teachers can wheel it in their room and pull out the drawers they need. And the fans sit nicely on top.
And its all kept together

Cheers Trish
fibreweb

Post by fibreweb »

After almost 2 years of the boxes just sitting on the shelves the staff are starting to use them which then means the batteries on the multi meters are going flat.
There-in lies my problem. I may be having a "teacher" moment and not being able to fix something myself but I have unscrewed what appears to me to be the battery cover but then cant get the cover to come off.
I don't want to force it too much if that is not what is supposed to be done.
Do I need to remove the blue cover (as I do on our yellow ones) before the battery cover will come off? I have tried to do this but the blue cover does not want to come of easily either!
Can anyone offer any help?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I don't know if it helps, but I had trouble with our (generic) multimeters, and to remove the battery cover, I had to pop out two very small rubber lugs that just appeared to be feet that stopped the thing slipping around. Under each of the lugs was a screw. Removed these screws and "Voila!'
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

The blue cover has to come off to remove the battery cover. It does take some convincing the first time as it is glued to the multimeter. The glue is also around the battery compartment and I have found a pair of needle nosed pliers gripping the hole where the screw goes helps get the battery cover off. You can find instructions online.
fibreweb

Post by fibreweb »

Why on earth do they glue something that has to be removed to change the battery :redcard:
Logic dictated that is what was needed to be done, but it was obvious that the blue cover was glued on!
Battery is now changed and the multi meter is covered with gouges from the dissection probe that was used to remove the glued covers!
Thanks Kathy