A general discussion and Q & A forum.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Lab sand buckets

Post by fibreweb »

Hi all,

I have been working very hard getting my prep room and 3 labs cleared out ready for our renovations which start in the holidays.

All of our labs have a bucket of sand/dirt along with a variety of detritus from over the years. I understand they were fire buckets from eons ago but am unsure whether they are still a necessary item in the labs with the modern extinguishers.

I couldn't find a reference in CSIS but may have been looking in the wrong place. Somehow they will look out of place in the new labs.

Does anyone know if the need to be kept or can I discard them.

Thanks Wendy.

PS I hope every enjoys there well earned break.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Re: Lab sand buckets

Post by Ocker »

Like you Wendy, I would like to lose them, they are just a convienient place for teachers to throw their ends of chalk :banghead:
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hi Fibreweb,
I can't seem to find a reference either, not even in the recommended spill kit. We have new labs but still have our sand buckets tho, and as much as they look a bit out of place mostly the students put their used matches in them. Saves finding them in sinks etc. So for me, they still serve a purpose.
Lou P.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi in the CSIS manual vol2 3.2.2.2 pg 6, says
"metal fire buckets containing dry sand can be useful in some circumstances. Sand will reduce the spread of fire by absorbing burning liquid. Sand can also be used to extinguish small combustible metal fires.
It is recommended that sand buckets be kept in a preparation room and be made available where a risk assessment indicates it should be used. Make sure sand is not contaminated with waste such as paper or glass. The combined weight of sand and bucket should be limited to 10kg."
I am assuming this is only a recommendation, as it doesnt say we must have sand buckets this way. I am forever cleaning out bits of paper, matches even broken glass from mine, so I am glad it has been bought up and I may move them from the lab to the prep room
cheers
Lisa :thumbup:
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Hi All,
Lisa, that is exactly what I did. After telling my H.T. that I thought the fire buckets were more of a fire hazard, because the kids threw all their rubbish in them (and whose got time to clear it out in an emergency!!) I removed them from the labs, and just have one in the chemical bunker. I figure that is the place that is more likely to have a "burning liquid" situation large enough to warrant sand. Also, we are in a Science "block", so all of my labs can be accessed quickly with the sand bucket if need be.
All of our labs have fire extinguishers and fire blankets.
Cheers,
Lisa (another one!!)
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

We've had to move our fire blankets to just inside the prep rooms as some students delight in pulling them out of their covers and throwing them in the bin! On several occaisions the blankets have been tossed out in the rubbish by the poor, unsuspecting cleaners. Moving them has cetainly cut down on the costs of replacing perfectly good blankets! Teachers are aware of their new location but so far we haven't needed to use them.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi
We have new labs and yes I have put back the sand buckets I have put them under the large sink in each lab the bucket stays clean that way.
Noona
judyjolly

Post by judyjolly »

Hi All
Welcome back
Does anyone know whether we are still reqiured to have sand buckets for fire?
Judy
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I have a central point for the sand bucket, that being the "Spills Kit" corner.
Makes a good barrier to stop spilled liquids from running, as well as can be used to smother small fires. Since they are kept in the prep room area and out of student reach, they dont accumulate rubbish.

Also very handy for expts that require sand.
I would not be without sand access :-)